A Michelin star restaurant in Venice is under investigation after a woman of age 46 died of food poisoning. The woman came to the RIFF restaurant with her husband and son who also suffered from food poisoning. The restaurant will remain closed until the investigation is complete.
A Bit About Riff Restaurant
The Riff is a Michelin restaurant in Vance Spain. it is owned and run by Bernd Knoeller a German chef who began his career in the 80s and established a name for himself. .He has also worked with some of the best chefs in the world.
What Happened at Riff Restaurant
The Spanish magistrate ordered an investigation into the food handling practices carried out at RIFF restaurant after an autopsy and forensic report listed food poisoning as reason for death of the woman. Ana Barceló, the head of Valencia’s Ministry of Health, told reporters on Thursday that interviews were conducted with everyone who ate there between 13-16 Feb. Out of the 75 people interviewed 29 confirmed having food poisoning. Some even reported suffering from diarrhea.
Food safety officials inspected RiFF and sent food samples to the National Institute of Toxicology and Forensic Science to be analyzed. Some speculate that the cause of food poisoning might have been a species of mushroom served at the restaurant. It is to be noted that there are several dangerous foods in the world that if handled improperly can result in death.
Bernd Knoeller the owner and head chef of the restaurant has expressed great concern over what had happened and offered his sympathies to the family of the victims affected said in a media statement. He assured the restaurant would remain closed until the cause is determined.
What Is Food Poisoning and How Is It Caused
Food poisoning is caused by eating food that has been miss handled or unfit for consumption. According to an estimate by the Center For Disease Control (CDC) each year 48 million people get food poisoning, 128000 wind up in hospitals and at least 3000 die as a result of it each year .
Symptoms of food poisoning include nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and general weakness. In most cases, food poisoning is mild and goes away in 1-5 days. In severe cases, it can be life-threatening if not treated. The symptoms include bloody urine, persistent diarrhea for more than three days, difficulty speaking or seeing and high fever of 101.5°F.